The benefits of Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
02 Feb 2021
What is continuing professional development? Why is it so important?
The Professional Associations Research Network defines continuing professional development (CPD) as ‘any process or activity that provides added value to the capability of the professional through the increase in knowledge, skills and personal qualities necessary for the appropriate execution of professional and technical duties, often termed competence.’
CPD is necessary as it ensures that individuals continue to be competent in their profession. For several professions it is also a contractual obligation.
A well-planned CPD programme is not only beneficial to a professional’s career but it also protects the public and the employer.
The top 5 benefits of CPD
- CPD ensures that information and knowledge is up-to-date and aligns to current standards.
- CPD helps you to hone and update your skills to ensure your customers, clients and society receive a professional service.
- CPD opens new opportunities. The more you develop professionally, the more you will begin to see an enormous amount of ways to succeed.
- As technology advances, research and the pace of change becomes faster. If you stand still you will get left behind, as your knowledge and skills becomes outdated. CPD supports the spread of best practice at any particular time.
- With CPD, you ensure that you keep making meaningful contributions to your team whilst becoming more effective at work.
In short, CPD means learning new skills and improving old skills, to get better at what we do. This includes industry-specific expertise like engaging with new technological advances, as well as soft skills in customer service.
MITC is dedicated to the provision of continuous education to the professional services industry. Our CPD sessions are also offered online so you can access learning from any location. Each webinar is designed to address key topics and challenges within the changing business landscape. For a comprehensive list of sessions available, please visit our webinars page.